Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Week 11: Second Life

I'd heard about Second Life, but I haven't really looked at it much. To be honest, I'm too busy in my first life to even contemplate having a second one!
I can see how it has real possibilities for education though. Distance education can be a bit tricky, especially for people who rely on a lot of visual and body language type cues when communicating. Would the Gardener term be Socially Intelligent? Anyway, although it is not the same thing as being there in lectures tutes etc, it is a as close as you are going to get while still retaining the benefits of distance education.
As for future trends, I can't see it ever fully replacing actual attendance at university, at least for some courses or modules. Science Fiction is full of virtual schools and things like that, but it will be a long time before they are realistic enough to teach practical subjects such as chemistry, without needing VR technology that's expense would not justify it's benefits.

No comments: