Monday, July 7, 2008

Week 6: Google tools

Google Docs

The features I like about this product are the ability to share editing of the document across the Internet, and not just within a restricted LAN environment
within one organisation. For material that isn't sensitive, it would be a good option for collaboration between different organisations, and has real potential for outreach.

Google Maps
Google Maps is brilliant, I've used it a lot for creating easy to access maps for friends when visiting my house for the first time. It would also be useful for giving directions to the library to people, such as presenters giving talks here or other outsourced activities.

Google Book Search

I've used Google Books before, and I'm always amazed at the diverse books that they have available. I use the net a lot to look for things that I can't get in Tasmania, or even Australia, and when looking for books I can invariably find them on Google books or Amazon to preview.

Being able to click on the Find this book in a library link is really useful as well, and I can see how this could be of benefit to libraries.


No comments: